The Ambassadors Theatre was designed by W G R Sprague who had also designed St Martin’s Theatre just next door and the Aldwych Theatre in Covent Garden. Britain’s longest running production, The Mousetrap by Agatha Christie, opened at The Ambassadors on 25th November 1952 and played there until its 21st Birthday in 1973, it subsequently transferred next door to the larger St Martin’s Theatre.
The stalls bar of The Ambassadors currently displays a commemorative statuette, which was presented to the theatre by Agatha Christie herself to celebrate the play’s record breaking run.
Following The Mousetrap, the theatre saw a variety of shows. Most notably at this time was the RSC’s hit production of Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Christopher Hampton with Alan Rickman.
In 1996, the theatre was transformed into two studio spaces to accommodate the Royal Court Theatre Upstairs who were resident until 1999. After their successful residence at the Theatre was over, it was converted back to its original design and renamed The New Ambassadors Theatre.
Most recent productions at the theatre have been Love Song by John Kolvenbach starring Cillian Murphy and Neve Campbell , the political comedy Whipping It Up by Steve Thompson and starring Richard Wilson and Robert Bathhurst and the Menier Chocolate Factory’s revival of Little Shop of Horrors.